A compilation of Kembara's (@aa-dono) thoughts unless stated otherwise.
Please Don't Copy.

Monday, November 25, 2013

It Took All My Energy

 written by Tony Wallace (2001)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took all my energy to want you
and the rest of me to go after you
and then one day I knew
that I had you.

I was standing at the sink rinsing dust
from a bunch of grapes.

All my energy had been spent
pursuing you and then I had you
and then
I sat down at the kitchen table and ate the grapes.

The day was hot, that day
when I knew I had you. The man
in the house across the street
was cursing his wife.

An hour later I went to see about a job,
and the woman behind the desk
with her gold spectacles
caused me to remember that I had you.

Outside the sky was blue as a china plate.

There is nothing to do
on a day like that
but go to the beach. I caught three fish,
black and heavy as paperweights.

After the third I stopped to clean them in the ribboning surf,
three black fish flecked gold as the capes
of Egyptian kings,
strong swimmers, broad across the backs.

I slit the bellies, tossed the guts and roe
to the waiting gulls, cut the heads off slant
and lay them one by one on the gurgling sand
while I thought of you. Three small boys
picked them up
and carried them away,
holding them aloft as if on pikes.

Even as I fry these fish I think of
their heads against the sky
while the birds worked on a patch of sea
on the lee side of a sand bar that split the water
like the broken spine of a ship,
and as I turn these fish in the pan
I think of the day when I knew I had you,
and then the next, and then the day after that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
taken from Poetry 180

No comments:

Post a Comment